Quick and Easy Ways to Detox after the Holidays!
We all know that we tend to over indulge during the holidays… Despite our best intentions not to… it’s always hard to resist those tasty treats and not make it to the gym or our favorite exercise class.
January is the perfect time to start our year off right by implementing some new healthy habits. An incredibly easy habit to start is a daily dry brushing routine. A good dry brush costs under $20 and they last for a very long time. It only takes between 5-10 minutes every morning and the benefits are astounding!
Why Skin Brushing is so important:
Did you know that your skin is your body’s largest, most eliminative organ?
It is the last organ to receive nourishment from the body but the first organ to show any signs of malfunction, deficiency or disease.
The skin receives one third of all of the blood circulated within the body. It is sometimes referred to as the third kidney and on average the skin eliminates over one pound of waste acids every day. This equates to 10-15% of the body’s total daily eliminations.
One of the most important benefits of dry skin brushing is its’ gentle stimulation of your lymphatic system. It is actually considered to be one of the best natural lymphatic cleansing and stimulation techniques available.
Your lymphatic system is composed of lymph vessels, nodes, and organs. It is an integral part of your body’s defense system. Your lymph nodes remove microorganisms and other foreign substances and they act as a filtration system that keeps bacteria from entering the bloodstream.
As you can see, your skin may be more important to pay attention to than you think. Healthy breathing skin greatly contributes to overall body health. Adding dry skin brushing to your daily routine improves the overall health of your skin as well as helping your body to release unwanted toxins.
The Benefits of Dry Skin Brushing
Dry skin brushing helps to shed dead skin cells, which can help improve skin texture, cell renewal and help prevent premature aging.
- Dry skin brushing helps your skin to absorb nutrients by eliminating clogged pores.
- Dry skin brushing also rejuvenates the nervous system by stimulating nerve endings in the skin.
- As increased blood flow begins entering the areas that you have brushed you will experience an increase in electromagnetic energy. This can leave you feeling energized and invigorated. This is fantastic first thing in the morning!
- Dry skin brushing helps with muscle tone and more even distribution of fatty deposits.
- Dry skin brushing tightens and tones your skin by increasing the flow of blood to your skin’s outer layers. This increased circulation can also help lessen the appearance of cellulite.
- Cellulite is toxic matter that accumulates in your body’s fat cells’ as they are unable to be eliminated. Implementing a regular dry skin brushing technique coupled with an alkaline diet program and a good exercise routine will break down these unwelcome toxic fatty deposits.
- Your newly increased circulation encourages your body’s discharge of metabolic wastes, which greatly aids the lymphatic drainage of your entire body. When your body rids itself of toxins, it is able to run more efficiently in all areas.
- Dry skin brushing stimulates your lymph canals to drain toxic mucoid matter into your colon, thereby purifying your entire system. This enables your lymph to perform its “house-cleaning” duties by keeping your blood and other vital tissues detoxified. After several days of dry brushing, you may notice the gelatinous mucoid material in your stools.
Dry Brushing Technique
Purchase a brush made with natural fibers. You can choose one with a strap for your hand or one that has a strap for your hand as well as a removable handle. These are available at www.healingscents.net
A systematic dry brushing session will take about 10 minutes. It’s best to do this before your morning bath or shower. If you are unable to dedicate 10 minutes of your morning, 5 minutes is better than nothing!
Note: Dry brush in the morning and the evening if you are sick. This will speed up your body’s elimination process and you will feel better more quickly.
Your lymph moves towards your heart, so this is an important detail to be strict about. Always brush in long strokes towards your heart! Brush between 10 to 20 times in each area. Overlapping as you go.
Start from the bottom of your feet and move upwards towards your heart. Brush both the front and the back of your legs. You can concentrate more time on the back of your thighs and your buttocks to help to break up cellulite. Lift your arms above your head and brush from your hands towards your shoulders. Brush both sides of your torso in an upward direction. Brush in light circles around your breasts.
After brushing your skin, shower as you normally would. If you are so inclined, alternating the water temperature from hot to cold will further invigorate your skin. It will stimulate blood circulation and bring more blood to the outer layers of your skin.
After your shower, dry off vigorously and massage your skin with one of Healingscents five Signature Organic Hydration Oils. These oils will moisturize your skin on multiple levels and are specially formulated to restore your skins’ lipid barrier.
Clean your skin brush using soap and water once a week. After rinsing, dry your skin brush in an open, sunny spot to prevent mildew.
Caution: Do not brush on or over skin rashes, wounds, cuts, infections, poison oak or poison ivy.
Note: Any “well designed” program will take about 30 days to see and experience the changes. For a thorough lymphatic cleansing, perform skin brushing daily for a minimum of three months. Please be patient and stay dedicated! It’s worth it!